Professional Experience Log – Starday 2

Today I was able to observe as my Mentor teacher modeled a guided reading group, providing some very useful information regarding insuring learning across the various literacy strands.  During reading groups I was also able to supervise and provide scaffolded assistance to the reading group who were utilising the Sunshine Online program on the classroom computers.  The students demonstrated their abilities to navigate around the familiar program using the mouse.  As my mentor teacher is pro-ICT, the children are given many opportunities to interact with ICTs and are comfortable with the basic skills.

In other activities within the classroom today, my mentor used a story and related set of activities (The sheep who couldn’t sleep) on Sunshine online as a math group rotation where children extended upon their work on numbers to 100.  My mentor provided an introduction and instructions by modeling the program on the IWB, allowing students to take turns to perform actions on the IWB.  The math group rotations then began, with one group accessing the program on the class computers.

During the final session, my mentor announced that today was the birthday of a student currently on a family holiday in America, and that she had the families email address so the class could wish the child a happy birthday.  Using the IWB, the teacher facilitated composition of an email.  The children were introduced to email composition, inserting emoticons, changing font size and colour, inserting the email address and sending the email.

My main contribution to the day was running a math group rotation using a worksheet, MAB blocks and individual whiteboards.  I was also able to incorporate the IWB to assist children in checking their work.  I was also involved in the weekly library experience, reading a story, which the children greatly enjoyed; and assisting them use library software and scanner to borrow books.

Tomorrow I will use the IWB in conjunction with the student’s individual text books to lead a handwriting session; lead a session extending the children’s work on place value; and lead a one hour art session where children will decorate time capsules for their history unit using photocopies of photographs.

One thought on “Professional Experience Log – Starday 2

1. Pingback: Topic of Interest – IWBs | Learning Through Connecting