Scootle, Making Curriculum Linking Child’s Play.

As pointed out by one of my colleagues in her blog, our introduction to Scootle is tinged, in her words, with both excitement and astonishment. I can’t believe that in two years of university study I had never even heard the word Scootle mentioned.

What a wonderful site it is, especially for new teachers, those established teachers struggling to incorporate ICTs into their teaching or looking for ways to implement the Australian Curriculum.

In a nutshell, Scootle is a website which contains a hoard of resources for teachers. It’s so much more than that though. Resources are categorised into eight resource types;

• Learning objects
  • Image
  • Audio
  • Video
  • Collections
  • Teacher resource
  • Assessment resource
  • Dataset.

Even better than that, all resources are linked to the Australian Curriculum by subject, content descriptor and year level, so that, not only can you do a standard search but you can also select a content descriptor and year level to find resources which directly relate to what is to be taught.

Having flicked through a few activities (Learning objects), I did find a few of them to be of questionable usefulness or have flaws such as long introductions which can’t be skipped, the overall usefulness of Scootle in incorporating a range ICTs into teaching can’t be overlooked.

Now we’ll go on a brief field trip of the Scootle site.

My Professional Experience site has linked me with a Year 1 class, so I’ve taken this as my inspirations for this search.  I would imagine that I will be required to teach at least one mathematics lesson during my fifteen day practicum.

So, I chose the Mathematics tab and scrolled  down to Year 1 Content Descriptions, then clicked on “Represent and solve simple addition and subtraction problems using a range of strategies including counting on, partitioning and rearranging parts (ACMNA015), then viewed elaborations and matching resources.

A list of resources resulted.  I was able to quickly choose the type of resource I was after by looking at the blue icon next to the image of each result.  The blue box denotes Learning Objects.  Not only could I read the description of the item, but I could also view the items popularity with other educators and a star rating, which I think is particularly useful for new educators.  Having viewed and trialled the resources which I thought were interesting, I decided to review Counting Beetles.

This program asks students to use a range of strategies to count, add and subtract familiar objects (beetles) and lends itself well as a group activity with teacher instruction and scaffolding. The graphics are of great quality and well animated with the beetles actually crawling across the page.  The addition of hiding beetles leads children to use memory and higher order thinking, perhaps tally marking or other written system to keep track of the beetles they are adding and subtracting.  There are three levels of activity, increasing in difficulty which means that the program can be used to introduce, practice and extend the subject.

Overall, this ICT takes the place of traditional concrete object addition and subtraction teaching strategies with little change to content or process and as such is categorised within the Support Mode of the Computer Practice Framework.

I wonder what exciting discoveries my EDC3100 colleagues have made on Scootle.

18 thoughts on “Scootle, Making Curriculum Linking Child’s Play.

1. Thank you for you blog!
    I have had troubles with my scootle and am still waiting for my confirmation email. I am very eager to take a look! Especially now after your experience!
    I too had never heard of it before and think once I get it working, I will be addicted!
    Thanks
    Nicole

• I’m glad you found this post interesting Nicole, I’ll be interested to read what you think about Scootle when you get access.

Regards,
      Bec.

2. Hi Bec this is my first post to another blogger, other then to respond. I am thrilled to have successfully overcome what to me has been a big hurdle. Thanks again for your kind support, Robyn

3. Hi Bec,
    Firstly I would like to say what a lovely Blog you have. Well done it looks great and is easy to follow. I too have posted a comment about Scootle on my blog available at http://mrsldrury.edublogs.org named Drury Lane School Teacher. I would like to make mention of the fact that as of only recently have we been able to access Scootle and it is exciting times. It is also worth mentioning that it is free for us to access, Yay! There is no free trial period and no upgrade, what you see is what you get. I found the resource to be very easy to follow and I feel that it will be easy to implement into my teaching style. It will be another resource to add to my ‘tool belt’. Thanks for your detailed explanation of Scootle and I look forward to more blogs.
    Regards,
    Leah.

4. Pingback: Scootle, a wonderful tool for TEACHERS and Students | a young teacher's walk

5. Through my interactions with Vicky, a fellow student based in Malaysia, I have discovered that international students do not have access to Scootle for the purposes of EDC3100, you can read about her experiences on her blog at http://vickyheng90.edublogs.org .

I understand that Scootle is intended for use by Australian educators and is linked to the Australian Curriculum, however, in theinterests of inclusive education I wonder if USQ could arrange for a dummy login to be created for the use of international students during the period of this course?

6. Pingback: Bing's Learning Journey » I am playing Scootle!

7. Hi Bec,

I really enjoyed looking through your Blog. It looks fabulous! I particularly like how you walk people through the use of Scootle. Like many others in EDC3100 I too can’t believe I haven’t heard about this before now! I will be linking yours, and others, post about Scootle in my Blog.

Kate.

P.S. How did you get the Twitter ink in your Widget? I would like to do the same but have not found out how yet.

• Hi Kate,

Thanks for the comment.

I did the edublogs update so I’m not sure if it works if you haven’t.

Have this website https://twitter.com/about/resources/buttons & your blog open in separate tabs.

On the twitter page, choose the style you like & fill in your twitter details then copy the link provided.

Switch back to your blog & go to appearance, widgets, choose a ‘text’ widget & insert it into your sidebar. Copy the twitter link to the text widget & update.

All being well, you should now have a twitter button on your blog’s sidebar.

Hope it works for you,
      Bec.

• Too easy Bec, Thanks. I’m going to see if I can find the same thing for Facebook too. Will let you know how I go.

Kate.

• Hi Bec,

I’ve just done it and not too bad though a little confusing. First I opened http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like/?&sa=U&ei=F2GTT6SQC8bVgQeD2JH8BA&ved=0CCcQqwMoBTAA&usg=AFQjCNHixlaIW0d8R8rpnL5LbaiHcq8KiQ (Facebook buttons by developer). Then I copied the first lot of code into a text widget as you described, hit enter to go to a new line then pasted in the second lot of code and saved. It seems to have worked but I would love if you could have a go and let me know if my button works for someone other than me. Thanks,

Kate.

• So glad it worked for you … glad you worked FB out too! I’m not adding a FB button, I’m going to keep that an education free zone at the moment! I might set up a second account down the track, but I’m sure I’ll get confused.

Happy blogging,
          Bec.

• I know what you mean. I set up a separate account as I didn’t want my personal stuff being put out their so much. It seems to be working OK but I do get a bit of overlap as all of my teacher friends are on both ;-). Thanks again for your help.

Kate.

8. Pingback: Sarah EDC3100 - ICT and the Australian Curriculum

9. Pingback: Strategies in choosing a computer program — Life Long Learning